New York City Career Month 2015
Leadership in the New Workplace
$10 Advance Ticket, $15 at the Door. Free Admission for 2015 Graduates.
Online registration for this event is now closed. Walk-in registration will be available at the door for alumni and guests.
Refine your next move by tapping into the UChicago alumni network. Join fellow alumni, parents, and friends for a panel discussion on the recruitment and retention of talented employees and the qualities of an effective leader.
Getting ahead takes talent. It takes knowledge. It takes skills, practice, and connections. We all have our own mix of each. Polish and perfect your unique mix with UChicago's network of resources this Career Month. UChicago alumni experts can help you focus on professional growth, expand your network, and gain new job-hunting and job-landing skills.
- Linda Orton, AB'87, Moderator, Linda Orton is a high energy and engaging speaker. She is the Founder of The Unicorn Continuum, a NY based executive recruitment and consulting firm focused on placing tech driven marketing and management professionals in forward thinking firms, companies and organizations. For almost 20 years she has worked with the AmLaw 100, leading Accounting and Consulting firms, Technology companies and Associations across the United States and Europe. As a former in-house marketing director for leading law firms in NY and London, including Clifford Chance, Linda is passionate about helping shape the evolution of work, employee recruitment and engagement at all levels. She is also passionate about helping people do what they love. She is a professional speaker on a number of topics including: Using Social Media for Business, LinkedIn for Students, Telling Your Story, Using Humor to Connect with Your Audience and many others. Linda is an avid nature photographer, hiker, story teller and the mom of an 11 and 14 year old. She has held numerous leadership roles with the University of Chicago Alumni Association, the Legal Marketing Association, various professional services technology and marketing groups. She misses playing Ultimate Frisbee on The Midway, but uses her "go to the disc" skills whenever she hails a cab in NY. She also still has a mean forehand.
- Kate Moore, AM'03, Chief Investment Strategist at JPMorgan. Kate Moore is a Managing Director and U.S. Chief Investment Strategist for J.P. Morgan Private Bank, based in New York. In this role she is responsible for the development of investment strategy and tactical asset allocation for high net worth and institutional client assets. Kate co-Chairs the U.S. Investment Committee and is also a member of the Global Investment Council. Before joining J.P. Morgan, Kate was a Senior Global Equity Strategist at Bank of America Merrill Lynch Global Research. In this role, she was responsible for macro equity strategy, asset allocation and thematic investment advice for both institutional and individual investors. Prior to Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Kate was an Emerging Markets Strategist for Moore Capital Management, where she conducted macro research and developed trade ideas in equity, credit and commodity markets. Prior to Moore Capital, Kate was a member of the Global Strategy team at Morgan Stanley Investment Management. Kate holds a B.A. from the University of Virginia, and an M.A. in Political Economy from the University of Chicago. She has been featured by major news outlets, including CNBC, The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, The New York Times and Bloomberg.
- Carter Neild, MBA'97, General Partner, OrbiMed Advisors. W. Carter Neild, CFA, is a General Partner of OrbiMed. Mr. Neild joined OrbiMed in 2002 and has led the firm's expansion into biopharmaceutical royalty investments and Asia. Mr. Neild was previously a Director of the UBS Alternative Investments Group. He also spent four years in the investment management division of First Chicago, now part of J.P. Morgan. Mr. Neild received an M.B.A. in Finance from the University of Chicago, a B.A. in Economics from Emory University, and a C.E.P. from the Institute D'Etudes Politiques in Paris. He received the CFA charter in 1995. Mr. Neild currently serves on the University of Chicago's National Board of Directors Life Sciences Alumni Group.
- MaryBeth Sigler, MBA'95, Senior Consultant at the Potential Project and Adjunct Professor at New York University. MaryBeth is a Senior Consultant to The Potential Project, a global organization that has delivered corporate-based mindfulness training in Fortune 500 companies in more than 22 countries. Sigler is also an experienced leadership and executive coach with more than twenty years experience coaching executives and their teams. She works with senior leaders, managers, and high-potentials to develop greater professional effectiveness and the leadership tools needed to successfully advance their careers. She specializes in emotional intelligence and mindful leadership. She is a professor at New York University in the area of Leadership and Human Capital.
- Erin Sweeney, AM'05, is currently Executive Director of Schools That Can Newark, a nonprofit organization that works with school leaders across district, charter, and independent schools to expand quality urban education. She came to this role with over 15 years of experience in nonprofit and government management, ranging from leadership roles at nonprofits such as St. Benedict's Prep and Harvest House (which she co-founded) to her role as a U.S. Foreign Service Officer/Fellow in Nigeria, Bolivia, Germany, Tanzania, Washington, and New York. Erin has an unyielding love of all things Newark and New Jersey. She is Board VP for Newark's GlassRoots, Advisory Board member for New Leaders Council NJ, ASC interviewer for the UChicago Alumni Club of NJ, Executive Committee member for the Harvard Club of NJ, National Delegate and Service Unit Team member for the Newark Girl Scouts, member of the Newark Civic Trust, volunteer at WBGO, and a mentor through Student/Partner Alliance and NJ LEEP. Erin is a proud alum of Emerge NJ and Leadership Newark. In addition to her studies at UChicago, Erin earned a Masters in Public Policy/Urban Planning from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and recently earned a Masters in American Studies from Rutgers University-Newark focusing on the City of Newark.
| Staff Liaison
Alexandria Schultz, AM'13